petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I have an adorable kitten, i've had her months, evidently

Customer Question

i have an adorable kitten, i've had her for 2 months, evidently she was taken away from her mother too soon, she nurses on any part of my skin she can get hermouth on, she is relentless in this, i need sleep, she's just can't stop, help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

The fact that she is still so young is in your favor and with a patience and persistence, you should be able to resolve or decrease this behavior. The three things you want to concentrate on are: deny, deter and distract.

1) Deny - simplest of all, when she seeks you out for this type of behavior, simply move yourself from the situation. Don't allow her to sleep with you if it is occurring during the night and give her a cozy spot of her own to sleep in another part of the house until she is over this behavior. If she comes up to you while you are awake, get up and walk away. Now I know that when you have a cat that want to cuddle, you don't want to practice this behavior forever, but in most cases, it is not forever, but only until she learns that she can get your attention in other ways and not by this method.

2) Deter - Using something like bitter apple spray on your skin will make it taste bad and will often deter her from this behavior.

3) Distract - some cats will substitute a toy or stuffed animal for you if you provide one to suckle on. If not, try to find other toys that she can enjoy and you can have interactive play by distracting her from suckling and stimulating her in a different way. Feathers or toys on strings are great and most kittens can't resist.

Here is an excellent article with other ideas that you may find helpful. I do not agree with the part however about the raw chicken so please don't consider that one. LINK HERE

Helping her to find other ways to comfort herself while she grows will usually resolve this problem, but you have to be persistent until she gets it. Good luck with her.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z