Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

A neighborhood cat that is basically wild but will let me

Customer Question
get close her now after...
a neighborhood cat that is basically wild but will let me get close her now after several years , I am sure has severe earmites but her head and jaw are very swollen and she stinks like she is rotten. her breathing is loud and mucous was hanging from her lower jaw. I feel like she is in severe discomfort and want to get some help for her right now.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/13/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your concern for this girl that has led a little harder life than most. It is always makes me feel good when I see those individuals out there that want to help an animal that is not doing well. Thank you. I'll be honest and say that as far as the Benadryl making her sedated to be able to get her in a carrier is not that likely. My best advise for getting her into a carrier would actually be through using a live trap. I know this sounds drastic and all, but these can be used very safely, effectively and with absolutely minimal stress. A lot of times the local humane society or animal control can loan one out for people in the area to use. It can be set up with food to lure her in to then catch her to take the vet's office. I would strongly recommend this as again it is quick, easy and minimal stress. It also keeps you from inadvertently being scratched or bit. Once at the vet's office, they can sedate her effectively to check her over to see what can be done for her. I'll be honest and say that she may have something that is not treatable. Could she have cancer in the oral cavity that is at the root of all this? If that is the case, then they can help make a quality of life decision for her. Could she have a bad infection and ear mites that they can do some longer acting medication to take care of? That would be the best case scenario. I'm hoping for the best. Thank you for taking the time and effort to care for her. Please let me know what questions this has brought up by hitting reply.

I have tried that and she is having nothing to do with the trap. She eats well & obviously has been in that predicament before. She is in horrible shape & more than likely they will probably put her down. waaa. I have to get her some where today. can't a vet give me something to put in her food to knock her out? I have picked her up before 7 actually tried to get her in a carrier yesterday. What a joke! Someone said pick her up by the neck but she is to swollen and I don't want to do more harm. PLEASE help me get this poor animal help today.

Thank you for getting back to me. A veterinarian can prescribe an oral sedative like acepromazine to use in situations like this, but that is something that each veterinarian has to make the call on based upon what they are comfortable with. Technically they can't send it home unless a veterinary / client / patient relationship has been formed. It would technically be against their license to send something home without seeing the pet. I know the live traps can be something they learn about, but if the food in it is that tempting and they are that hungry… they usually work. Maybe getting her into something other than a carrier. A sturdy cardboard box by chance that can be secured shut? The problem with carriers is that they are small with openings into them and they can use their legs and such to make that near impossible. Can she be set down in a cardboard box?

I think that would work. I know you can't offer up something that is against rules & regulations, but off the charts......this baby needs some help now. Should I google the medication you mentioned 7 see what I can come up with to get her where she needs to be? surely there is something we humans take that will help me get her in a box to a vet????Obviously you care or you wouldn't be in the business. You know she is suffering & that's inhumane. If that med is comparable to benydral then I have to take that chance. I know it's not my profession, but it's a call to do what's right to get her relief. Rules were meant to be broken when necessary & I feel and see that this is one of those times. Compassion is more like the word.

The acepromazine isn't available over the counter. There just isn't anything that will be available that way to sedate her for transport. If you have a veterinarian that you've worked with before and have a good relationship with, sometimes they can "bend" the rules in a situation like this.

ok, then forget over the counter. what prescription would be comparable. I haven't had a pet for the past 20yrs. I'm not asking you to bend the rules....really. I am just asking you a comparable medication that we take that will work. I don't even know if I can put my hands on it, but I sure have to try. If something were to go south it would be my negligence not yours. but if nothing is done then it'ws both of ours because we could have done SOMETHING to get her where she needs to be. Time is of essence and it's a beautiful day & I sure don't want to be blowing up your texting when I can be trying to locate something to help this more animal. Even you said in a situation like this. I don't want to be Dr Jekyl and just try to give her something and upset her stomach or even worse. I don't want to do what everyone is suggesting to give her. That's why I came here to get straight answers to what I can do(may not be right per say) but at least I am reaching out to help. So please make my day & help me save a life or take a life from suffering. That's all I am asking.

As far as orally, there isn't anything comparable to the Acepromazine that can be used. I know time is of the essence here, but more than likely what is going on with Bella isn't going to escalate quickly here in the next day or so. That would give you time to get ahold of your vet / the vet that you plan to take her too and see how they can help out. Cats metabolisms are very sensitive and there just isn't anything else that is available for an owner to give at home in a situation like this. I wish I could say something else, but there isn't.

then why can't I bring her to you? it has gotten worse in the past 2 days & she is suffering. If she weren't suffering I would deal with this a little more level headed, but I see she is very miserable & I can't do that. I feel her pain 7 it hurts.
are you tuning me out

I absolutely understand your compassion and your concern for her. I don't know if you realize this, but I most likely am not in your immediate area. I'm in the midwest. I'm not sure if this was something you thought I was closer in location to you. I'm hoping that here soon this little one is going to be feeling better. Do you have a local vet you can bring her too?

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian