Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat's eye has turned dark, the lens has wandered, and the

Customer Question

My cat's eye has turned dark brown, the lens has wandered, and the eye is bulging. The vet recommended having her eye removed but is unable to let me know her prognosis until after the eye has been removed and tested. I don't want to have this surgery done if her prognosis is poor. Are there statistics available showing the chances she will be fine once the eye is removed versus she has cancer or some other disease which will end in her death? The vet feels I need to have her eye removed asap as she feels the cat is in pain. She seems ok to me - still eats and comes when called. I know I have to do something to help her. Her blood work came out fine. The estimate is over $1,200. If her health will most likely still be compromised, I can't justify putting her through the surgery and spending this amount of money. Your thoughts?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about your cat, and also sorry to see you have waited this long for an expert. I have been away and just came online. Do you still want help with her?

I am Rebecca, I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help, if you still wish to continue.

If the eye is bulging, and the lens has wandered, I am very concerned this could be a tumor of the eye, or behind the eye, pushing it from behind. The only way to know what it is, as you say, is to go through the surgery and have a biopsy done. There is no way to biopsy the eye ahead of time like we would biopsy something on the skin; once we punctured the eye with the biopsy needle, even a tiny one the way we do to test a skin lump or bump, that could permanently damage or blind the eye.

I agree, this eye could be painful. If this were my own cat, I would have the eye removed as soon as possible (maybe you have even already done that!?).

Just ignore all this, if you feel your wait was (understandably) too long. If you have any other questions I can help with, please let me know. Rebecca