Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

Cat has a black growth on outside lower lip

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
I took some pics. She is a 2 year old Persian. Growth is black and under hair.
9/11/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Bettie. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes. If you have photos, please send them through now.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. There are a number of possible things this mass could be including anything from an area of infection (from an ingrown hair for example), to a cyst, or a benign or malignant mass. Given your girl's age, it is most likely that this is a benign mass (not nasty) or an area of infection. Malignant masses in this area are very rare in younger cats, so I do think this is very unlikely here.

The next best step here would be to take Bettie along to your local vet tomorrow if you can. Here a FNA (Fine Needle Aspirate) can be easily performed to help tell us what this mass is. A FNA is a quick and painless procedure that requires a needle to be placed in the black mass and a few cells withdrawn via a syringe. These cells are then place on microscope slides and sent to a pathologist for cytological evaluation. Many times an exact diagnosis can be given. From here it can be decided as to whether any further action is necessary! If it was found to be a malignant mass, then your girl would need to have the mass removed under a full general anesthetic. If it was found to be an area of infection or an ingrown hair, then antibiotics (topically and/or orally) may be all that is needed.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.

Hi again,

I thought I would check in quickly to see if you managed to get Bettie along to your vet to have a FNA taken from the mass? Hopefully they were able to get a diagnosis via this approach. It would be great to get an update when you get a moment.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian