Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Will store bought chicken broth, ie Swanson's or College

Customer Question

will store bought chicken broth, ie Swanson's or College Inn, low sodium hurt a cat. They seem to like it, and it is fluid intake. I do have electric waterers, and leave the tub at a drip for them, but they would not dream of drinking from a plain bowl of water. I have added a tablespoon or so to their canned cat food this week, but now I worry if I should or not. My one cat has constipation problems, and I like to keep him drinking sufficiently
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question about Roddy. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Offering some low sodium broth is a good way to get extra fluids and electrolytes into him. You can even dilute it a bit with water, but straight broth would be fine.

In addition to extra fluids, you can try increasing fiber in his diet to prevent constipation by adding canned unsweetened pumpkin, cooked sweet potato, or a little Metamucil to his food. Mira Lax is an over the counter stool softener that is safe for cats: 1/4th tsp twice daily sprinkled on the food.

Let me know if you have any other questions I can answer. Rebecca

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** the answer and the advice, I am dismayed however that it went from free advice to 20.00 (which I put in my payment info for) to a monthly fee, cancel anytime AFTER I put in my info. I do not want this. Consider it cancelled. It does not say how to cancel it. I did not mind paying for a one time answer, BUT I do NOT want ongoing payments. That is not honest. I am disappointed that it can't be as advertised. I am NOT disappointed in the individual answering the question. Please assistme in cancelling NOW, I do not want any ongoing program or plan and NO ONGOING payments
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

I just answer the veterinary questions; I do not now anything about deposits, payments, etc. I can refer your question to the moderators, or you can ask the moderators your questions by using the drop down menu. I can't help you with cancellations or anything like that. I can help if you have any other questions about Roddy.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

How is Roddy doing? Can I help with or answer anything else? Rebecca