Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 2 y/o female, fixed cat was ding in tall grass that got

Customer Question

my 2 y/o female, fixed cat was hiding in tall grass that got sprayed with round up. She is now lethargic and sleeping round the clock. She is eating very little and will drink water. She has urinated several times, but feels very weak. She will walk outside, but travels only few feet and lays down. Her breathing seems normal, her eyes look ok, no mouth foaming
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this site a con deal or what?? Top of page says my answer will be ready in 8 minutes, that was close to an hour ago. No email either. What is up??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok what kind of game are ya'll playing here?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please advise that you are receiving, understand and comprehending my messages
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. There's a paucity of information concerning glyphosate (Round Up) toxicity in cats. This is from the National Pesticide Information Center technical fact sheet:

"Signs of Toxicity - Animals • Animals exposed to formulated glyphosate herbicides have displayed anorexia, lethargy, hypersalivation, vomiting, and diarrhea. Symptoms persisted for 2 to 24 hours following exposure. The surfactants in formulated products are thought to be responsible for the clinical signs. • Clinical signs typically appear within 30 minutes to 2 hours following ingestion. Animals may exhibit excitability and tachycardia at first, followed by ataxia, depression, and bradycardia. Severe cases may progress to collapse and convulsions. • The Veterinary Poisons Information Service in London, England recorded 150 cases over an 8-year period of dogs exposed to glyphosate primarily from eating grass recently treated with formulated products. Of these, roughly 40% of the dogs exhibited no clinical signs, 45% exhibited mild to moderate clinical signs, and roughly 15% were classified as serious. The Centre National d’Informations Toxicologiques Veterinaires of France reported 31 certain cases of intoxication of domestic animals by glyphosate-containing products in a 3-year period. Most exposures resulted from animals ingesting the product prior to application. Of these cases, 25 were dogs and 4 were cats. Vomiting occurred within 1-2 hours of ingestion in 61% of the cases. Hypersalivation occurred in 26% of cases, and mild diarrhea was reported in 16% of cases. Centre records did not report long-lasting effects or any fatalities."

It appears that symptoms of intoxication should abate within 24 hours of exposure. If it's been longer than that for your cat, it would be prudent to have her vet take a look at her. There's no specific antidote to glyphosate but your cat can be treated supportively with supplemental fluids which would hasten excretion of the glyphosate. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.