Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

I came home after only being gone an hour to find my indoor

Customer Question

I came home after only being gone an hour to find my indoor cat opened the window and let herself out. She ran in when she saw me. But, now she is panting , breathing kinda heavy and washing herself a lot for the last 15 min. . It is like 93 degrees outside. I got her to drink some water and she is laying in front of the fan. Could it be the heat? Or her just getting out?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The neighbors also have dogs. Fear?
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 2 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. Have you been able to get her to drink anything?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she drank a bunch of water. But, she is still panting and washing herself non stop.

Unless she was in the sun continuously, it is unlikely that she is overheated so I suspect this is more due to fear. Are her gums a normal pink color? Can you take her rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The gums don't seem too pink. She is staring out the window kinda odd also as she is overly grooming herself.

The grooming is probably because she was outside and her fur is more dirty than she is used to. If you are able to take a temperature it should be between 100 and 102.5. If it is over 104 then have her seen by a veterinarian immediately. For now, continue the fan and water and let her rest. If she isn't significantly improved in an hour then I'd recommend having her seen by a veterinarian. If you have more questions please reply back.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. She normally freaks out if the door opens and won't go anywhere near to go outside. So to come home and find her sitting outside and then running back inside it seems kind of odd and outside of her nature. Then to have her start heavy breathing and panting I kind of freaked out.

I think you are right to be concerned if she doesn't improve soon but I suspect this is due to the fear more than anything.