Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My older cat was eating like 10 meals a day and just stopped

Customer Question
5 days ago and is...
my older cat was eating like 10 meals a day and just stopped 5 days ago and is taking nothing in and has turned to skin and bones. I believe she is dying an don"t
know what caused this...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/6/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Christian K., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Cat Veterinarian

This is Dr. Christian. I'd like to help. Does she have any other symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? Are her gums a normal pink color? Does she have any medical problems in her past?

no problems other than strange breathing and when we first got her she looked like she swallowed a basketball than we put her on a diet an her basketball became a volleyball and none of the Vets I take her ever said anything.

How long have you had her? Have any tests been done for her breathing problem and belly? Can you describe her breathing problem?

No other problems. Breathing is like a short hesitation. Had her for 7 years a recue cat. She ate so much and drank so much and now nothing

Thank you for the information. Her symptoms are fairly vague right now but there are several medical conditions that are fairly common in older cats that could explain what you are seeing. These would include liver disease, cancer, kidney disease and diabetes. Viruses like feline infectious peritonitis, feline leukemia virus and feline Aids virus are also possible. Those viruses are not curable and can be in a cats system for years before it starts to cause problems. Most of these conditions are present for a while before a cat starts to act ill or show symptoms and that why it seems like it occurs all of a sudden. In this case it is best to have her sen as soon a possible to find a diagnosis and start treatment. The veterinarian will problem recommend blood work as a starting point. If you have more questions please reply back.

thank you. If she is still alive Tues. I will take her to the Vets. She does not seem to be in any pain..

You're welcome. If at all possible I'd recommend having her seen on an emergency basis. She could suffer terribly between now and Tuesday. Try force feeding her water or warm chicken broth and try chicken baby food through a syringe to get her to eat something. Feed her small meals every 2-3 hours.

Thank you. Is baby cat formula good for her?

You could try that too. Warming it a little may help.

Thank you again..

You're welcome. Good luck.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Cat Veterinarian