Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Pet naturals UT Support at 15 about 5 hours ago - is

Customer Question

Pet naturals UT Support at 15 about 5 hours ago - is vomiting mostly watery content.
Supplement containsarabic gum, brewers yeast, calcium sulfate, and oils
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now the good news is that there is nothing toxic in this even if she has had more then she should have. Therefore, her signs will just be related to stomach upset +/- pancreatits. Therefore, as long as she can keep water down (since cats to nauseous to do so often need injectable treatment to settle), there are some supportive measures you can take to help settle Cabot's stomach.

Now if she has just vomited, then to start we would need to rest her stomach. Usually we will just withhold food (water can be left down) for a few hours to see if we can get them a bit more settled. Once she is you can then consider treating her with an antacid. There are a range that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are :

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)

This medication of course shouldn’t be given without consulting your vet if she does have any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medications. Ideally, it should be given about 30 minutes before food to ease her upset stomach.

Once that is absorbed and taking effect, then you will want to consider offering a light/easily digestible diet options. Examples would include boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk),meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used here (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity.) When offering these, do start with a small amount (a spoonful). If she eats it and keeps it down for >30 minutes, then you can give her a bit more and so on.The advantage of light diets is that they are easier on the stomach so less likely to cause vomiting. As well, they are easy for the compromised gut to process and therefore will allow increased GI absorption leading to less upset.

Overall, her signs do suggest stomach upset but there is nothing in the product that could cause harm. Therefore, we'd want to use the above at this stage. Of course, if you do and she is just too nauseous, then we may need to have her checked by her vet so that they can start her on strong any-nausea/vomiting medication by injection to settle her stomach and get her back to normal.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )