Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My well-behaved 14 year old cat has decided to use the

Customer Question
litter box for urine, but...
My well-behaved 14 year old cat has decided to use the litter box for urine, but not for
pooping. He has decided my living room is now his bathroom. Someone suggested
a larger litter box - he's got the biggest one you can buy. Should I take the lid off?
Help! I can't tolerate his leaving his little sausages on my living room carpet.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/4/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about this this situation. I would absolutely take the lid off as a step to try and help with this. Sometimes the lids will trap more odor in the box and make it not as pleasant in there. I would also get a second litter box too as some will like to urinate in one and defecate in the other. I would make sure that the litter box is easy to get into as some older ones may not want to get into them as much if they are challenged from a mobility aspect. Cleaning the litter box daily would be recommended too. Trying to keep the environment in the litter box as clean as possible is most desired. The areas he's defecating, I would try to limit his access to them. The spots he's going, you can put tin foil over them to deter him from those spots.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian