Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

MY cat had foul stool that was somewhat soft, yellowish and.

Customer Question
MY cat had foul stool...
MY cat had foul stool that was somewhat soft, yellowish and brown. The vet tested it and there was nothing wrong. I changed her diet to no grain, and the stool is now firm, brown and doesn't have the foulness. However, she had been vomiting before, sometimes smooth brown other times partially digested food. No hairballs now that I use Furminator. But she is vomiting more frequently, both types. What could be wrong? What test? My vet suggested a blood test to see if she is digesting properly. What would that show? Is there another approach?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/4/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Chronically vomiting cats are most often diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). This is an idiopathic (unknown cause) inflammation which may or may not be related to food intolerance. In most cases I'll first perform a diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests in order to rule out other causes of vomiting such as hepatitis, pancreatitis, and nephritis. If nothing untoward is found an ultrasound of her abdomen can be helpful in "seeing" the tell-tale inflammation of IBD in the gastrointestinal tract as well as its sequela small cell lymphoma. Confirmation of IBD or lymphoma would require scoping and biopsy of the GI tract. Presumptive therapy for IBD - the antiinflammatory antibiotic metronidazole +/- a corticosteroid such as prednisolone may be elected prior to such invasive testing. A hypoallergenic food trial may be initiated prior to any testing if you care to go that direction. Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that her immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from her vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time. Please note that the absence of grain doesn't necessarily render a diet hypoallergenic. The most common offending food allergens are beef, chicken, corn, wheat, eggs, rice, and soy.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian