Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

We were away month and had to left our cat at a friend's.

Customer Question

we were away for 2 month and had to left our cat at a friend's. when we got back, the cat is very skinny and won't eat. her skin is yellowish. she eats now very little even though we switch to a new brand of food. what to do?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Is her mouth and whites of her eyes also yellow tinted?

Is she drinking a lot?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
her mouth is yellow too, but she doesn't drink a lot.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

I am very sorry to say but I am quite worried about your lass.

The yellow tint you are seeing is jaundice. This is a sign of liver based troubles. It is possible that this is related to liver infection, bile duct blockage, or fatty liver disease (if she had been refusing food at your friend's house for the past months); but there is also a serious risk that this is secondary to liver dysfunction or failure. Therefore, in this case, it is important to have her seen urgently. We'd want her vet to take a blood sample +/- ultrasound to diagnose which is present. Depending on their findings, they can treat her with IV fluids, liver supportive care +/- antibiotics to help her overcome this.

Overall, this yellow discoloration is a serious sign that her liver is in distress. Therefore, we do want to have her seen as soon as her vet is open to diagnose the type of liver disease present and determine if we can help her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.