Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat has a dark discharge in s ears. He is 11 yes old and

Customer Question

My cat has a dark discharge in his ears. He is 11 yes old and has never had this before. I read it can be ear mites? I am using a homeopathic solution Ecoears. How long should I use it and if there is an infection what would be prescribed?
Thank you, Kim
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat's ears. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Dark discharge can mean ear mites, but ear mites would be rare in a cat this old, unless you recently brought home a kitten. Cats can only get ear mites by close association with another cat with ear mites, where the mites have crawled from one cat to another.

Dark discharge can also indicate things besides mites: yeast ear infections, a polyp down in the ear canal, or a bacterial ear infection.

Ecoears is not homeopathic (homeopathy is a specific form of therapy, where a drug is administered after being very diluted in alcohol or water). It does contain essential oils. Be sure you are using Ecoears for cats, not dogs. Dog Ecoears contains tea tree oil, which can be toxic to cats.

I would try using Tresaderm drops (prescription medication). It is good for both ear mites and for yeast ear infections, and for itching and scratching. Looking into the ears with an otoscope to check for polyps would also be a good idea.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca

You can also try cleaning the ears with a combination of vinegar and water; vinegar can help with yeast infections.