Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a cat with ear troub;e and she is scratching one side

Customer Question

I have a cat with ear troub;e and she is scratching one side bloddy buy I have been able to manage that with standard at home 1st aid at home and a cone. however other ear is now puffuy like an abcess, again I have dealt with these at home sucessfully, but feels deeper and it is very sensitive. been there about a week and getting bigger.... I am thinking it is time for a vet to get it numbed and drained properly?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Unfortunately, it does sound like we have an ear hematoma (usually caused by ear scratching or head shaking rupturing a capillary in the ear) or abscess present. In this case, since it sounds like her ear discomfort has been present for a while and these do often need proper draining to address and clear; it would be a stage where it'd be ideal to have this done by KaiKai's vet.

At the same time, you will also want her vet to check the ear canal for any signs of infection, mites, or anything being stuck in the bottom of the canal that could be triggering her constant bother with this ear. Depending on their findings, after draining the ear swelling, they can also start her on ear drops +/- cat safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam) to just soothe this, get the primary issue settled, and get this all cleared for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sarah W,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.