Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat just got a bloody nose. She is 16 years old

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/31/2015
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Is the blood coming from both sides or only one?

Is she sneezing?

Is she an indoor only cat or is she allowed outdoors as well?

How long has this been going on?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Bothj nostrils, is sneezing, indoor cat and let outside. Just an hour abo.

One more question please. Is it blood tinged mucus or is it pure blood that you are seeing?

pure blood.

The site is acting up and not letting me send my reply. Let me try again. Please bear with me for a few minutes while I re-type my response.

It is very concerning when we see frank bleeding from the nose of a cat. In an older cat, we have to be worried about a possible tumor in the nasal cavity or the sinuses. These are often one-sided, but can affect both if the mass is large enough or invading both sides. Inhaled foreign bodies can lead to sneezing and bleeding, but these are usually one sided. Dental disease can certainly lead to bleeding as the tooth roots are located just below the sinus and nasal cavity, but again those are usually one sided.

There are bleeding disorders that can occur that can affect the cat's ability to form clots and bleeding can occur. If she is let outside unsupervised, there is a possibility she may have been exposed to rat poison which can lead to clotting problems. Other bleeding problems can occur if the platelets are low in number or are not working. This is a less common cause, but can occur if the cat's immune system starts to destroy her platelets as can happen.

I would definitely recommend that you have her examined by your vet to see if the cause of this can be identified. There is not much you can do to stop the bleeding at home short of keeping her quiet. After a thorough exam, your vet will want to run bloodwork to look at her platelets and maybe a skull xray. It is difficult to visualize the structures in that area directly and imaging studies like xray or even MRI are sometimes needed to confirm a possible mass.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian