Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Kitteþ ate combat roach poison

Customer Question

Kitteþ ate combat roach poison
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Time is kinda of the essence here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Seriously now due i make the the ******* throw up or not, vet is noaoption
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available (which is why there has been a delay in your question being opened to online experts). Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What was the active ingredient in the poison?

How much do you think she has had?

How much does she weigh?

Did she eat anything non-edible (ie plastic from the case)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
3 months
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again,

Are you telling me her age?

Can you answer those above asked questions so I can assess her risk here and guide you on what we need to do?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fipronil pea size
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2 lbs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Weight 2 lbs active ingredient fipronil ate about pesize
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again,

I do see your reply but need one moment to type what we need to do here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ingested only the poison
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Thank goodness!

Fipronil is actually the active ingredient in the flea treatment called Frontline. So, while it is of course not ideal that your wee one has eaten this, it is less risky then other insecticides. So, in regards ***** ***** here, if she has just had this in the past 2 hours, you can induce vomiting. Or you could choose to treat with activated charcoal. Otherwise, there is also the option to rinse her mouth (to remove anything lingering), monitor, and use supportive care to offset any GI upset from this.

In regards ***** ***** supportive options, if you want to induce vomiting you can do so with 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 0.5 ml per pound. (1 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe,turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Or if we cannot get your wee one to vomit or otherwise, then we can instead treat with activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version, not the one for gas) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To 0do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken,boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Further to this, we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, Fipronil is actually a drug we use on cats safely. Ingestion is not ideal but there is a good safety margin with this. Therefore, we can use the above to address this situation if she has only had a small bit.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank u so much
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

You are very welcome,

All the best for you both,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.