Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 15 year old indoor cat been vomited and Diarrhea all over

Customer Question
the floor and drink a...
My 15 year old indoor cat been vomited and Diarrhea all over the floor and drink a lot of water
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/31/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is he strictly indoors?

4- Is it fair to say he is drinking more than usual?

1 - A little bit off and on past year, but horribly a lot worse the past 3 days
2 - not to my knowledge
3 - yes he is strictly an indoor cat
4 - yes a lot more

Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

No I don't want to call for an Additional $18

Friend, vomiting and diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions; this could be either a problem within the gastrointestinal tract or secondary to a systemic disease. The fact that he is drinking more than usual I am incline to believe this could be related to a systemic disease. You see, when a cat drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, hyperthyroidism), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by clinical and diagnostic findings. In the meantime this is what you can do for the vomiting and diarrhea:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian