Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

How do you tell if a cat has hypertension?

Customer Question

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now hypertension or high blood pressure is something that is as easy to check for our cats as it is for us. And the way we measure blood pressure is very similar. It just involves using a blood pressure monitor and blood pressure cuff in a cat appropriate size. This is something most vets can do within their practice and most cats will tolerate this being done. Finally, since a picture is worth a thousand words, I would note that you can watch a good video on how we measure kitty blood pressures HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3ZNl_s_Dq8)

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I had call our local specialty vet and they would not even give me an estimate to check my cats blood pressure. They said I would need to wait until the vet check out my cat and then they would give me an estimate.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I have to say that that is very odd. Of course, they may need to give an estimate if further tests (ie bloods) were needed but usually the cost of checking blood pressure is a standard fee. And I can say that I often carry them out during a consult. (Though for stressy cats, we do sometimes admit them for the day so that they can calm and settle after the stressful car ride and initial visit).

So, perhaps if they are being a bit coy about that, you could request your vet ring them about the cost of checking a blood pressure as they will likely be more open about it with them. Otherwise, if may be just worth ringing around to see if another practice can assist you or even check the blood pressure as an "out patient" of your current vet (where the other practice literally just takes the reading and then gives the results to your vet to then continue care/treatment as needed). That way you can get the answers you need for Cupcake and take the appropriate steps with the vet of your choice if her blood pressure is elevated.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again. This is very helpful.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for Cupcake,

Dr. B.