How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask petdrz Your Own Question
petdrz, Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 7373
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
petdrz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an 7 year old pure simese cat. Recently she has been

Customer Question

I have an 7 year old pure simese cat. Recently she has been coughing like she has a hairball, but nothing comes up. I have also noticed her wheezing sometimes.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

While hairballs can be a little irritating as they pass through the GI tract, they should not lead to coughing or wheezing. These symptoms can be a sign of pulmonary or heart disease and should be evaluated by with a thorough physical exam including evaluation of the heart and lung sounds. Cardiac causes can include heartworm as well as heart valve or heart muscle disease called cardiomyopathy. Lung disease can include bronchitis, pneumonia, parasites or even asthma which can be serious if not identified and treated.

If this continues, I would urge you to have her examined by your veterinarian soon. In the meantime, there really are no effective home treatments until we have a better idea of what is causing the cough.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z