Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I have a kitten with infected eyes. Even after cleaning away

Customer Question

I have a kitten with infected eyes. Even after cleaning away all the yellow puss that had her eyes covered shut the next morning it returned. What can I do? Is it contagious?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How old is the kitten?
Has it had any sneezing?
What are you using to clean the eyes?
Just the Bactrin? Is this an eye specific ointment you are using?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't know how old she is maybe a couple of weeks old. Her mom is a white feral cat we inherited with the home in our backyard. No sneezing. Used water to clean. No the Bacitracin is not for yrs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
eyes
She has really long white eyelashes
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
Is mum with these kittens or have they been left?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mum is here. We just brought the kitten inside last night.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is the runt of the litter and blinded by the yellow puss. Mom did not lick her clean. Feared for her survival. Can't afford a vet bill.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you again,
First, you cannot put non-eye appropriate medications in this eye. If you do so, there is a risk that it could cause ulceration and damage the eyes further. Instead, we need to stick to eye safe treatments.
That aside, what you have described is a bacterial conjunctivitis. If this kitten is not sneezing and the others are fine, then upper respiratory tract infections would be a wee bit less likely here. That said, any bacterial based eye issue can potentially be spread among the kittens (since they are in such close contact).
In regards ***** ***** this poor wee one, you can do so by first flushing the eyes with sterile saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution). This can be done 2-3 times daily to help flush out the discharge but also lower the active bacterial population in its eyes. Otherwise, you will need an antibiotic for tackling this infection. As I noted, it must either be a systemic/oral preparation or a eye specific one. In regards ***** ***** specific options, you can see if your local farm supply shop carries Terramycin eye drops. These are a broad spectrum antibiotic drop that can help you fight this infection. And these treatments together would be our mainstay here for this kitten.
Finally, since safe eye treatments are limited, there is a risk of spread among the kittens, and funds are a concern, I do want to note that there is help out there. If you have a VCA veterinary hospital near you, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offer (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer). It would be an economical opportunity to get your wee one seen and offset any medication costs. As well, Banfield offers a similar offer as well (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon).
If you don't have a these branches near you, then consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) or ASPCA’s (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills). Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations, that can keep down costs and subsidize care and surely will be willing to help or even take some of the kittens in for you.
Overall, in regards ***** ***** question, this is highly likely to be contagious as it is bacterial in nature. So, we need to use the above and stop using any non-eye products to help reduce this infection and try to help this wee one.
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )