Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My 11 year old cat has a working diagnosis of pancreatits,

Customer Question

My 11 year old cat has a working diagnosis of pancreatits, however the vet we use wants to do an ultrasound because she suspects lymphoma. Out kitty seems improved with 10 mg a day of prednilisone. .5 ml of metronidazole and a 1/4 tab of cerenia, however he is restless.
When I asked him where that what specific treatment we would do if we find lymphoma she mentioned chemotherapy.
From what I read about chemotherapy for cats this would involve injections and it sounds somewhat invasive, especially considering that my very high strong feeling Tammy has to be sedated just in order to examine him.
I am confused about my next steps and need some advice. I do not believe that my kitty could withstand such aggressive measures. He is eating and is more active and my biggest problem right now is that he does not let me sleep as he wakes me almost hourly to pick up the food pull off of the floor and feed him.
Most of the time he seems comfortable however sometimes he leans into the pain position.
I am confused and need guidance on what to do next.
He does not seem like he is a candidate for euthanasia as he is active if not just a little bit aggressive when he plays with his other kitty siblings.
Should I spend another $1000 to do an ultrasound and a biopsy which seem pretty invasive or seek additional treatment and other medications or change his food? The vet says to not change his food but I have to wonder if potentially he is irritated in his intestine.
Thank you for any help.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, I would note that the next step here very much depends on whether chemotherapy is a viable treatment you'd want Loki to have. As you noted, it can be a treatment that requires poking and prodding. Now many cats are not willing to tolerate this and therefore we often find them to be poor candidates for this type of treatment. That said, depending on the type of lymphoma (organ and B vs.T cell based), we can see some positive results in amenable cats.
So, if you were keen to have this done, then it would be worthwhile to have these further tests. But if you would prefer not to put Loki through chemo, then despite it being nice to know what is there, we'd not need to perform them. And if you did choose that option, steroids can be continued as a palliative measure. They would reduce pancreatic inflammation and also have a cytotoxic effect on lymphoma cells to slow its growth. Furthermore, if he is posturing in a pain position from time to time, then do speak to his vet about adding pain relief to his treatment. In cases like this, we do often use Bupenorphine, as it is a very strong pain relief and can help with any cause of pancreatic discomfort.
Finally, in regards ***** ***** you did not mention what he has but in cases of pancreatitis, we often offer low fat, easy to digest diets. So, we'd tend to use Hill's I/D, Royal Canin Sensitivity Control or Gastrointestinal. And these would be options you could use here.
Overall, whether or not to have further testing will completely depend on your feelings towards using chemotherapy if lymphoma is found. If you don't think he would be amenable to regular vet visits and poking; then this may not be a real option for him. And in that case, further invasive testing would not be absolutely necessary and palliation could just be used no matter which issue is lurking in his poor pancreas.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response. Poor guy seems to have trouble at night - in fact he gets frantic for attention From me and also needs to eat every hour. This would be okay except he sleeps with us and therefore, has me get the bowl feed him.We gave him ciproheptadine at our vet's insistence, as she thought maybe he would settle down and let's sleep. However it seems to have caused the opposite. He is trying to eat every five minutes.Would the pain reliever calm him down?Sleepless kitty mom agonizing!Thanks for
Your help!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome, my dear.
Now Cyproheptadine can cause drowsiness in cats but it is also an appetite stimulant. Therefore, I suspect it is at least part of why he is waking you for food. So, it'd be best to speak to his vet about stopping that at least for the short term and starting some pain relief to see if we can relax him and help you both get some sleep.
All the best,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you! I will call today!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome. :)
Best wishes for you both,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

:) You are welcome :)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )