Cher
Cher, Pet Caregiver 40+yrs
Experience:  Specialist in Pet Healthcare and Behavior
1470369

My cat just made an unusually deep "gutteral" sound (coming

Customer Question

my cat just made an unusually deep "gutteral" sound (coming from the throat?), and was unproductive in producing a hairball. only yellowish "water" comes up (or yesterday some grass too). also made the sound for the first time yesterday, and it reminds me of someone with food stuck in windpipe. he's not eating. no stool today. could the hairball be stuck or it be something else? thanks!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
note: i checked his stool this past week and it was absolutely full of what looked like his fur.
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and welcome!
I'm sorry Max is having this problem.
It does sound, from your description, that he may have a hairball that he can't get up, and/or he could be constipated because the hair and stool are causing an intestinal blockage.
If he typically has problems with hairballs, you can give him Laxatone or Petromalt, hairball gel remedies, according to directions on the product, and this will help the fur pass more easily through his system. Also, comb and brush him several times a day so he ingests less fur during self-grooming.
The yellow liquid he threw up is indicative of excess stomach acid, most likely caused by not eating. When a cat doesn't eat, even for a short period of time, this can lead to a serious liver problems called hepatic lipidosis or 'fatty liver' and must be treated by a vet, right away.
Cats will eat grass as a natural emetic, knowing it will make them throw up, when they feel they have something to get rid of.
Due to Max's symptoms and his senior age, your next best step would be to have him evaluated and treated by a vet, as soon as possible. If your regular vet doesn't have weekend hours, you can bring him to an Emergency Vet Center for assessment.
I hope Max will be feeling much better, very soon!
Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback so I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you.
Rating will not cut off our communication and you can click 'Reply' at any time to keep in touch with me or ask for any clarification or additional information.
Warmest regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I also wanted to mention that if he is nauseated, you can give him 1/4 of a 10 mg. Pepcid AC tablet in a tsp. of baby food chicken containing no onion or garlic--Beechnut Stage 1 chicken and chicken broth is a good one. The pill is tiny, so he shouldn't detect it. However, if he's refusing to eat, it may be difficult to get the pill into him.
Encouraging drinking and adding 1-2 drops of vegetable oil daily, to his wet food, can also help with hairballs.
Warmest wishes,
Cher