Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is an inside cat only and in the last few months has

Customer Question

My cat is an inside cat only and in the last few months has developed little red bumps on her body from behind her neck down to her tail. She is diabetic and has been on shots for 3 years. I started rubbing her back with Vetericyn and it seems really sore. She also gets her Frontline plus flea treatment every 6 weeks. She does not scratch this at all but licks it constantly. I became ill this past Monday and on Tuesday ran a high fever. I felt bad today so I got in a warm shower thinking if I washed my hair and just let the water run over me I would feel better. I didn't notice it right away after my shower but now the palms of my hands and my own fingers have this same breaking out and I notice how sore these places are. What is wrong with me and my cat?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put the Vetericyn on with my bare hands but always wear a glove when applying the flea treatment.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I'm sorry to hear about your cat.

I would get a skin biopsy and culture/ sensitivity done on this skin as soon as you can. The fact that it's getting worse and it seems to be zoonotic (spreading to you) makes it serious. Ringworm can potentially be zoonotic, but it doesn't usually have that bumpy rash look. I would be most worried about a MRSA infection.

I would get her to your vet, or a veterinary dermatologist, in the morning and collect the samples. From there, I would probably start an antibiotic like Clavamox or Clindamycin. I would also start a pain medication, like Buprenex. I would hold off on any anti-inflammatory meds or steroids until the biopsy comes back. If it comes back as ringworm, then we add an anti-fungal. If it's a MRSA infection, we use the appropriate antibiotic based on the culture results. If it's an auto-immune disease, then we treat with steroids.

I don't think the ointment is causing this.

In regards ***** ***** you need to see a physician or dermatologist to get yourself diagnosed and treated.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.