Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  12 year of veterinary experience in feline surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

I live in Orlando. I had been away few weeks. My animals had

Customer Question

hello,
I live in Orlando. I had been away for a few weeks. My animals had been in my house being cared for by a friend. I have 5 cats and 5 dogs. I went upstairs and found a small dead bat in the corner of the room. My animals are all over due for their shots. Should I be concerned and what should I do at this point?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 2 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Can you tell if the bat has been chewed on? Can you tell how long it is has been dead?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Looks intact. No clue how long it's been there. Was behind the curtains.

Rabies is definitely your main concern. Don't handle the bat but call your local rabies control officer or your veterinarian can help you with that. They will probably recommend that the bat be tested for rabies and that all of your pets be vaccinated. If you have more questions please reply back.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok....if I take my animals to get vaccinated tomorrow we should be fine?

No necessarily. The vaccination does not work immediately. If the bat is positive for rabies then a quarantine will be necessary to monitor your dogs for symptoms. Having the bat tested is the best option.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok.....if the bat is positive will my animals be ok with treatment?

Unfortunately, there is no treatment for rabies. But if the bat is positive that doesn't necessarily mean your pets will get rabies either. The vaccines are also protective past their due date so it's possible that they are still protected.

I'm sorry. I'm unable to answer phone calls at this time.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok. thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are all bats rabid?

Most bats aren't rabid so the chances of that occurring are unlikely but when there is possible human exposure it is always best to be cautious.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you.

Your welcome. Good luck. Just make sure not to touch the bat.