Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Can raw meat mix with canned food?

Customer Question

Can raw meat mix with canned food for cats?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.
Nutrition is one of those topics where you'll not find universal agreement but my personal opinion is that adding a small amount of raw (although I prefer rare--see below) meat to canned cat food should be fine.
Most healthy cats require a higher protein diet although those with kidney issues benefit more from a lower protein one. But, if your cat is young or middle aged and healthy, then there should be no contraindications to feeding additional protein.
Most canned cat foods are going to be nutritionally balanced to meet the needs of felines although I'm certain that your cat would enjoy an additional amount of meat mixed in.
I tend to prefer rare rather than raw which means that the meat should be zapped in the microwave for 10-15 seconds; this will help to kill surface pathogens which might cause gastrointestinal issues.
I hope this helps. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr. Deb,
I have a pack of commercial raw food, so do u suggest I microwave it a lil bit then mix with canned food?Thanks for answering :)
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
that's what I'd do. Microwave it to kill off bacteria which might be on the surface and make sure that it's room temperature before you mix it with the canned food....although I'm sure you'd plan on doing this anyway. Deb