Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has a light yellow discharge from her right eye and

Customer Question
right nostril only. As...
My cat has a light yellow discharge from her right eye and right nostril only. As soon as I clean the eye it reappears. She has just started sneezing attacks, about 10 in a row without a breath. This has been going on for about a month. She had tooth surgery already, had about 5 bad teeth extracted, hoping this would help symptoms, but only got worse. She is on tobramycin drops from vet, but she is stumped and wants me to go to specialist. She is still eating, not as much, but pretty good (wet and dry). We adopted her about 6 months ago, not sure of her age, about middle age they say.
Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/17/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Besides addressing her teeth, have they done any other testing on Cleo?
Where the compromised teeth on the upper right side of her mouth? How long ago did she have the dental?
Has she ever been on systemic/oral antibiotics?
The dental work was done 7/15. She already had her right upper fang tooth broken off and had been only sneezing, so vet thought that was reason. I'm not sure of exact location of the other teeth pulled , but she had a thorough cleaning also. The sneezing continued and congestion worsened and the eye started oozing about a week after surgery. She was on Clindomycin after surgery for about a week. My vet says the broken tooth can cause nose problems but not eye problems also.
Thank you,
Poor Cleo!
Now your vet is correct that broken fang is not likely to cause eye based issues. Still, if we had had a dental abscess from a tooth further back in the mouth, then it could potentially put pressure on the back of the eye to cause situations like this. The same would be a concern for any soft tissue swelling or growths in that region. As well, while a bit less likely with her eye and history, we'd also have to be wary about nasal based issues (ie fungal infections, growths, etc) or compression/inflammation of her tear duct.
Otherwise, since her situation looks to be a predominately eye based issue, where the sneezing and slight nasal discharge may just be secondary to all that eye discharge draining down her tear duct (as it drains into the nose), we also have to consider infectious agents like Chlamydophila felis. This is a stubborn intracellular bacteria that can cause eye issues and sneezing. It also often starts by affecting just one eye. And not only is it quite resistant to may medications, it tends to need 4-6 weeks worth of treatment to clear. So, this too could be an issue here for Cleo.
Finally, while less likely, we'd also have to consider the other feline respiratory infectious agents (ie herpes, calicivirus). They often cause signs in both eyes, but we can sometimes also see odd one sided presentations with them as well. And I would note that all of these infectious agents would be real concerns given her previous stray history.
So, these would be our concerns for Cleo. If her vet does feel out of their depth, then a referral to a specialist may be for the best. Otherwise, it may be worth discussing testing for the above infectious agents +/- xraying her nose/skull. That way we can rule out the most common issues after dental disease to see if we can pinpoint the trigger for her signs and address it before having to send her for potentially more invasive testing.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Hi Lynn,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian