Dr. Elaine
Dr. Elaine, Veterinarian
Experience:  D.V.M.; Small animal emergency and general medicine for 26 years
24704774

I have a cat finishing 2 weeks on tresaderm. we are using it

Customer Question

I have a cat finishing 2 weeks on tresaderm. we are using it because his head is tilting right. my vet wants to switch to Zimox. The latter has no neomycin and a natural steroid. Last night I used Zimox and the cat was very agitated and unsteady. After 3 h I used almost the last of the tresaderm and he calmed down. We are scheduled for an MRI on August 31 (polyps? tumors?) but I want to keep him confortable. since the Tresaderm is unavailable today,and I already ued it for 2 week (one is the recommended duration) how do I clean his ears to use the Zimox. There are many sites that say do not mix ear medicines but how do I manage that? MSDS for tresaderm says ethanol, pehaps wipe the ears with 70% isopropyl alcohol (rubbilng) followed by water?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Elaine replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, this is Dr. Elaine
I would caution against using the Zymox at all given the reaction he had which you described in your question. Cats are all individuals, and if he is intolerant of this particular product, then he has shown you that already.
If he had a sensitivity to Neomycin (one of the antibiotics in Tresaderm) you would have noticed increased discomfort to his ears, and increased redness, so likely this has not occurred. In some cases we have attributed loss of hearing (called ototoxicity) to neomycin as well as other antibiotics like gentamicin).
I would suggest not cleaning the ears with anything other than a gentle product intended specifically for that purpose. Since you already have a relationship established with your veterinarian, he or she can prescribe something for you to pick up first thing Monday if they feel it necessary.
It is possible that his ears do not need to be cleaned out at all other than taking a moistened cotton ball and gently wiping away any debris you can see from the opening. Ear drops dissipate over time--that is why we don't have an ear canal filled with the equivalent of a bottle of Tresaderm when it is finished being used up.
A gentle cleaning with an ear solution your vet recommends (often ones with no alcohol are tolerated best because they do not sting) may be all he needs prior to his MRI study. It is best to not have any extra product in the ear at the time of the study.
Hope this helps.
Kindly,
Dr. Elaine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** circumstance may be that when he defacates he often becomes dizzy anyway. This was the situation right after my first Zimox treatment. I used a commercial ear cleaner to remove the tresaderm on his head and just a little inside the ears. That was followed by a cotton swab and it is drying . We will see where we are tomorrow am. Good advice.
My pleasure. Take care.
Kindly,
Dr. Elaine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello,Trying to get advice on cleaning the cats ear after 2 weeks on
Tresaderm. Vet wants to switch to Zimox but last might probably a
reaction to the two. How should I clean Pocket's right ear so I can
then use Zimox. i know Tresadem should not be used long term.
Hi there, Dr. Elaine here,
I read in your reply that you had used a commercial ear cleaner to remove some of the residue on his head and a bit of it in his ears. You can use the cleaner if it is labeled for cats inside the ears (10-12 drops is sufficient).
Apply the drops, gently squish is a bit, have a small towel ready to gently place over the head to catch anything the dislodges when he shakes. Then simply wipe the rest away.
Be advised that it is possible to over clean the ears so I would not clean them repeatedly.
Kindly,
Dr. Elaine