Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My beautiful, loving rescued cat Dracula has arthritis in s

Customer Question
My beautiful, loving rescued cat...
My beautiful, loving rescued cat Dracula has arthritis in his right knee. He limps terribly and has just started the medicine Adequan. His specialist vet also talked to me about removing his leg. I know that knee replacements have been done on cats in England by a vet named Dr. Fritzpatrick. Are there any vets that perform this surgery in the United States or a Veterinarian College that is doing this kind of surgery on cats. I really would like to save Dracula's leg.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
is there clean holistic or organic food that you would recommend that is specifically for cats with arthritis, wet food and dry food...that Dracula would actually eat and enjoy.
8/16/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm not allowed to perform an internet search for you but you can google the keywords: "knee replacement veterinary school cat" and find quite a few schools who have performed total knee replacements on cats. I don't know what "clean, holistic, or organic" means to you. Increased fatty acids - particularly the omega-3 fatty acids such as EPA - are antiinflammatory and of value in arthritic patients. I add fish oil to the diet at a daily dose of 20 mg/lb of the EPA in the fish oil. A human generic fish oil will suffice. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I googled cat knee replacement and found the only vet in England. I will try what key words you recommend and let you know what I found. The oil sounds good, but I already tried that and he won't eat it. I used 3 different brands, Carlson's, Norwegian salmon, and Renew Life. Dracula wouldn't eat the food after I put the oil in the food, neither would my other cat. That's why I asked if there was a specific brand of food developed for arthritis. He eats Wellness brand food, Solid Gold, Orajins (I think I'm misspelling that name), Blue Buffalo. The ingredients are very good and no grain, but they don't make a food for arthritis. Can you help with suggestions. And what do you know about the knee replacement. Does it really work and how expensive is it?

Please see here: http://www.hillspet.com/products/pd-feline-jd-feline-mobility-dry.html I have no experience with such an advanced surgery nor am I privy to what a veterinary school hospital would charge for such surgery. Contacting the school you've found online is your best source of information for the prognosis following surgery and your expenses. North Carolina State Veterinary school (please see here: https://news.ncsu.edu/2012/01/feline-first/) was the first in the United States to perform such a surgery on cats.

I know North Carolina State Veterinary School was the school that Dr. Fitzpatrick from England came over and performed, but he is over in England continuing to do the surgery there in England. Since it is now 2015 I thought I would take a chance and ask a Veterinary if there was a vet performing the surgery here in the U.S.. My vet nor the specialist know anyone performing that surgery. So I thought I'd ask for help from just answer. What you have found is the same and only info I have found.
I understand. Please call Cornell Veterinary School: http://www.vet.cornell.edu/hospital/Services/Companion/Orthopedic/ Total knee replacement is cited on this page.
I just talked to Cornell Veterinary School and they only do knee replacements on dogs, not cats. Another dead end. I'm confused and don't want Dracula to loose his leg. If you know any Brands of food for arthritis or any other suggestions for knee replacement on CATS let me know. Thank you

I'm aware only of the Hill's food I posted above. I've offered up all I have and so I'm going to opt out which will allow other expert to enter the conversation. Please don't leave a rating or respond to me - either of which will dissuade other experts.

Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your post is still open for other ideas. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance. I do have to agree with the previous expert on the omega three fatty acid, but it is not uncommon that cats will not eat food that has has anything added to it. The Hills j/d diet suggested is an excellent way to get the fish oil (in a significant amount) into him as it is present in the food already along with supplemented antioxidants that can be very beneficial for arthritis pain. Other nutricueticals besides the adequan are other chondroprotective agents given orally. They all work very similarly, but many pain experts feel that the combination of adequan with an oral form seems to have synergistic effects. Dasuquin for cats Another product that shows some promise is Duralactin. Duralactin® is a patented dried milk protein from the milk of hyperimmunized cows. It’s action is to reduce inflammation of osteoarthritis and tissue damage that results because of it. It is available as an oral supplement. Here is a link with more information. Duralactin Two other therapies that help many pets with pain is acupuncture and laser therapy. I would search for vets in your area that may be offering these forms of treatment. If you haven't used any pharmaceuticals, and you are to the point of discussing amputation, I would certainly consider those first. We are somewhat limited in our choices for pain control in cats, but gabapentin and tramadol are options that if used along with other pain control modalities as described above, may offer a limb sparing option. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Dr Z

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian