Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I'm concerned. My dog gracie has been spayed twice. Each

Customer Question

Hi. I'm concerned. My dog gracie has been spayed twice. Each time it failed. She is.now in heat..confirmed by vet. They now want to open her up again and look for remnant ovary. Last spay was 8 mos ago. She is having a period and swollen. Is it safe to.open her up again and put her thru all this? She is 11 lbs mix of ***** ***** and dalmatian. If.I choose not to.have it done will she suffer fr.not.doing it
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I'm sorry you keep going through this.

I am very surprised that they have gone back in and she's still showing heat signs. This is highly unusual. I would probably get in touch with a veterinary surgeon to go in the 3rd time. It's safe to go back in, but you want to make sure it's someone that is skilled at finding these tiny remnants and removing it all. I would also double check the adrenal glands, as some adrenal tumors can look like ovarian remnants. That would be much less common, but still worth examining.

You definitely want to have the surgery done. This will prevent estrogen derived tumors (mammary) or diseases (stump pyometra) from occurring in the future.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.

You're welcome.