Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My ragdoll cat is a bit lethargic eating still but just not

Customer Question
my ragdoll cat is a...
my ragdoll cat is a bit lethargic eating still but just not herself what types of problems are particular to ragdolls?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/11/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.
I recently came online and see that your question about Gracie hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.
In general, ragdolls are a pretty hearty breed but there are two problems which they can develop:
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which is a heart condition and problems with their kidneys (Polycystic Kidney Disease). Both typically require an ultrasound to diagnose although there are usually other signs such as respiratory issues, exercise intolerance (for the heart issue) and possibly weight loss, increased thirst and urination, abnormal blood work for the kidney problem.
1. If Gracie has only been a little "off" for a few days, then it's possible that neither one of the above conditions are responsible.
She could be running a fever which might account for her behavior. If you have a thermometer and she'll let you, you can take her temperature although this isn't always the easiest thing to do in a cat. Normal is between 100 and 102.5.Of course, then we'd have to wonder why the temperature is elevated. A viral or bacterial infection are common causes although a fever can also be seen with auto-immune diseases and cancer....unlikely in a cat this age but I include it to be complete.
There is a condition in cats that is called Fever of Unknown Origin--this is exactly what it sounds like which is that we can't find an explanation for the elevated temperature. Treatment is primarily supportive which consists of fluids and drugs to reduce the fever. Most cats recover very quickly.
. Pancreatitis can happen very suddenly; these cats just stop eating and can become lethargic. We don't have a good explanation for why this happens, either.
We do have a test for this (spec fPL) although I've come to doubt its reliability in some cases; treatment consists of fluids and pain medication (we believe the pain is why they stop eating).
2. Pancreatitis can develop very suddenly and might explain her symptoms. We don't have a good explanation for why this happens, either.
We do have a test for this condition (spec fPL) although I've come to doubt its reliability in some cases; treatment consists of fluids and pain medication (we believe the pain is why they stop eating).
3. Some cats will just have off days and we're none the reason wiser as to why. Usually they're only off for a few days at most, though.
If Gracie isn't back to her old self either now or within just another day or so, or if she's already been behaving this way for a week or more then a vet visit might be prudent.
I hope this helps although, again, my profuse apologies for the delayed reply. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian