Gina
Gina, Animal Care Specialist
Experience:  20+ years experience in animal health care.
673497

My 2 yr old cat won't stop destroying my door frame. She has

Customer Question

My 2 yr old cat won't stop destroying my door frame. She has torn up every single one and this is a new behaviour of hers. I've done claw caps and every type of no scratch training sprays. I love her and I really don't want to declaw her but I feel like I have no other choice.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Gina replied 2 years ago.

Hello:

First, I want to apologize that you have waited so long for a response, this is certainly not the norm for JustAnswer or the Expert community.

With that said, I would like to offer you some ideas to get Molly to redirect the behavior so you don't have to resort to declawing her. First, as you already know, the chances of the no scratch sprays working is very minimal. I would suggest, since she has already torn up the frames, to put double sided sticky tape on the frames for now. This should deter her from wanting to put her feet on it. You should check the areas every couple days to be sure it's still sticky. If it is not, then go ahead and replace it with fresh tape.

It seems Miss Molly enjoys wood. Head on over to your local Lowes or Home Depot or any lumber yard and give her a place TO scratch all of her very own. You want to try to use the same type of material as the door frames and build her a little scratching post. Next, get yourself some catnip or better yet, if you can find it, catnip spray if you can find it. If you can only find basic catnip, that will work just fine. :) You'll want to get a thin material and make a little cat nip pouch. Take the pouch and rub it on the wood that you want her to scratch. This will entice her to do so. Any time Molly goes to investigate the door frames, simply pick her up, take her to the appropriate place, her new scratching post, and encourage her to scratch there. You can add dangly type cat toys to keep her interested in the post. A laser pointer is also a great way to keep her attracted to the post. Lots of fun for her, for sure. Once she no longer has any interest in the actual door frames, you can remove the tape.

This isn't an overnight fix, so keep that in mind. It's a training/redirecting period and it can take time and patience but the more she is encouraged to scratch on HER post, the more apt she is to take to it faster.

I hope you have found this helpful and that you and Molly have a blast with her new toy and your door frames can be saved! If you need any other information on this topic, please feel free to use the reply box and let me know. I'm more than happy to help further if needed. If you are all set, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my personal answer to you. Thanks again :)

Gina