Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat got accidentally sprayed by professional insecticide.

Customer Question
I tried to wash him...
My cat got accidentally sprayed by professional insecticide. I tried to wash him off in the sink but I'm not sure if that's good enough.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
8/7/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Wylie. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Do you know what the actual chemical was that he was sprayed with? For some insecticides, a bath is all you need to do. For others, you may need to treat with an antidote, or give medication to control the symptoms.

If it was fipronil, or imidacloprid a bath is enough. If it was a pyrethrin, he may have tremors that may resolve in a day or so or be severe enough to require treatment with methocarbamol.

Is he showing any symptoms?

The pesticide was Temprid SC. He has been bathed again using Dawn dish soap. He seems to be acting fine so far.

Thanks for that information. There are two ingredients in this product, one is the imidacloprid I mentioned before, and washing in Dawn will have taken care of this.

The other is β-cyfluthrin. It can be toxic to cats, but according to my drug resources, it should also be OK: "at the concentrations used in residential settings it is unlikely to cause a problem, even for cats."

Your quick thinking of bathing in Dawn was the best thing to do. He should be OK, but watch for things like his shaking his paws, tremors, shaking, etc. If he continues to seem normal and shows no symptoms, he should be find.

Sorry, should be fine. Let me know if I can help with or answer anything else.

Thank you for the response

You are welcome! Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with updates and questions after rating.

How is Wylie today?
He seems to be fine! I'm so relieved! Thank you for following up.
You are welcome. Thank you for the update. I am glad he is OK.
Let me know if I can help with anything else, or if I can earn a good rating from you so the website knows I was helpful.
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian