Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 14 year old tabby cat has had trouble with constipation

Customer Question

My 14 year old tabby cat has had trouble with constipation and spondilosis for the past year. He also had a history of diabetes About a year ago he was severely impacted and the vet was successful at getting out the impaction and with the help of laxatives he has had regular bowel movements since- although he would occasionally strain. Recently his hind legs have been pretty rigid whenever he walked. Yesterday morning he seemed to be in pain after passing a large bowel movement- he stood very stiff in an awkward position for a long period of time. I tried to pick him up and he cried out in extreme pain- especially by his back. I was finally able pick him up and set him on his favorite blanket on the floor. He has refused to eat or drink for the past 24 hours and has not moved from the blanket I placed him on. He is sleeping and is not crying in any way- I'm aware that he is in a stage of dying- I feel like moving him to take him into a vet to be euthanized would cause him a great deal of discomfort. I also don't want him to suffer at some point in this process. Is it humane to just let him be and let nature its course?
Thank you!!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name Dr. Alleyne and I am a veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping I can assist you with your question regarding your cat. I know it has been a few hours since you submitted this question. Are you still seeking assistance?