Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My one year old cat was de-obsitpated last week after three

Customer Question

My one year old cat was de-obsitpated last week after three failed enemas. He was doing fine a few days after the procedure but became constipated again. His diet since the procedure has consisted of wet canned food, pumpkin, lactulose, and Miralax when the lactulose doesn't agree with him. I took him in for another set of enemas about a day ago and it worked but he seems to be straining again today. t seems like the vet can't give me a straight answer as to why this is happening and I fear that all these procedures will somehow further negatively impact his health. Please help!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Did his vet xray him before and after the enemas?
Was there any visible dilation of the gut?
Any history of trauma?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she x-rayed him before the enemas. She did not mention dilation of the gut only that he was blocked up. I rescued him when he was 3 months old so I'm not sure if anything happened to him before I adopted him. However, the vet said that he showed no signs of trauma.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you,
Now I have to say that I am quite concerned about Chester.
If he is having recurring problems despite your use of a good treatment plan thus far; this would raise concerns to whether there is now a dilation in the gut (megacolon) or possible nerve dysfunction in the GI that is preventing proper gut contraction (and thus movement to push feces through). Trauma can be a trigger for these issues but we can also see deterioration of the nerves and gut contractility arise in non-traumatic cases.
In this situation, since he isn't seeming to gain any ground with treatment, you may way to discuss a second xray to compare the gut dilation or further diagnostics to look at the actual function of his gut. In regards ***** ***** other tests, we can check gut contraction/function with ultrasound or you could consider having him referred to an internal medicine specialist for fluroscopy (a real-time xray that allows us to see the gut actually moving within the body). These will help you to pinpoint why we are seeing such recurrence in a cat this young despite all you have done already.
Depending on the findings of these tests and based on your vet's clinical examination and suspicions; you can also consider discussing the use of drugs to stimulate gut movement. Metoclopramide, an anti-nausea medication, would be one mild option to consider. Otherwise, for cats that we do diagnose poor contractility in the gut there area additional treatments (ie Cisapride) that can keep things moving. But their long term use and success would depend on what is exactly triggering this poor gut movement and fecal passage for Chester.
Overall, these would be our main concerns for Chester at his age and with the lack of obvious problems on his xray (like something stuck in the gut or compressing it). Therefore, we'd want to consider the above approach for him if what you have tried so far is failing to keep him regularly passing feces.
Please take care,
Dr. B.