Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I think my cat may have been t with a bb gun. She has a

Customer Question

I think my cat may have been hit with a bb gun. She has a wound on her right rear side.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Poor Captain!
Now these wounds don't usually tend to cause much issue for the skin, as the hot pellet often cauterizes the skin as it passes through. Therefore, they often won't look very dramatic. Still, don't be fooled, they can cause major issues for our cats. This is because these pellets can penetrate deeper to cause serious harm. Often we will find these pellets lodged in the tissues deeper to the skin or some can even penetrate the abdomen to then damage organs. As well, if the pellet does make it into the sterile abdomen, the hole it leaves in its wake can open the door to serious risk of bacteria from the outside world causing infection along the pellet's path.
With all this in mind, if you suspect a BB gun wound, the best course of action would be to get Captain seen urgently. Her vet can xray her to tell you where this pellet has gotten caught, whether it is causing internal bleeding, or whether it is damaging an organ. Depending on the findings, she may need urgent surgery (if it has penetrated the abdomen or is causing bleeding), or to at least be started on kitty safe pain relief and antibiotics. But in all cases, we have to appreciate that this issue does deeper then the skin would and needs to be addressed to keep her from any harm.
Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via
http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
Best wishes for Captain,
Dr. B.
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)