Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

What health problems can I expect in a snowshoe cat?

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Any genetic conditions that show up occasionally?
7/27/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Cat Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today. The Snowshoe, an absolutely beautiful breed, was developed in the late 1960s by pairing the Siamese with the bicolor American Shorthair. There are very few recognized medical problems in the breed because of the wide genetic base of the American Shorthair. According to Dr. Ross Clark in his book Medical, Genetic & Behavioral Aspects of Purebred Cats, the Snowshoe tends to be a hardy & healthy animal. Occasionally, breeders encounter a kinked tail carried over from the Siamese ancestry, but it is easy to eliminate the trait from any breeding program. I hope this is the information you were seeking. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. Thank you.
Thank you. I am about to buy a Snowshoe kitten and am worried that she may develop some uncommon ailment that is passed along in this breed. My last cat was a sable Burmese and she died in March after 13 years. She developed growths on her corneas and had traumatic surgery on both eyes. The surgeon told me that she often sees this in Burmese and oriental cats. Hence my question about Snowshoe breed.
Although unfortunate, & unusual things can happen with any feline, at least there is nothing specific to the Snowshoe breed. They are wonderful & beautiful animals. You do not have to worry about any significant issues that we see in some other breeds.
thanks for your help
You are very welcome.Take care.
Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian