Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat is eating and using the bathroom. He is inactive and

Customer Question

My cat is eating and using the bathroom. He is inactive and generally staying in one place unless to eat or use the litterbox
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is he strictly indoors? 2- How long has this been going on? 3- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? 4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Strictly indoor only. He's been like this for maybe 2 weeks. There was slight diarrhea that was due to change food I think. My other cat is ok. I switched back. To their regular food. No other existing medical conditions. He was at the vet about a month ok and he was ok.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is he eating? 2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale? 3- Can you take his rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He's eating like a champ :) his gums look normal compared them to the other cat. Have no way of taking the temp
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know it sounds dumb but he's not acting like himself. If I go pet him he's really affectionate but he won't leave the table
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, lethargy (no energy) is a very non-specific symptom and can be related to many different medical conditions that affect cats. It will be difficult for me to determine why Louie is staying in one place without a hands on examination and some testing as he is not showing other symptoms. But, common causes are: Anemia, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In this case, your Louie will need a hands on examination by a veterinarian, blood work (chemistry profile & CBC) and urinalysis as initial screening test to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on clinical and diagnostic findings. If cost is a concern I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter