Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of experience in small animal internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cat hasn't eaten since last night. We went to the vet today

Customer Question

My cat hasn't eaten since last night. We went to the vet today they gave her fluids and pain medicine and did blood tests. The tests came back normal, they said she had a fever of 105 but that was the only abnormality. She still isn't eating or drinking. Do I need to go to the emergency vet? How long can/should I wait?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Is she lethargic? 2- Did your vet give her any medication besides fluid? 3- Can you recheck her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She also isn't drinking water, luckily the vet gave her fluids today. The only time she has gone to the bathroom was a little pee in the carrier when I took her to the vet.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Is she lethargic? 2- Did your vet give her any medication besides fluid? 3- Can you recheck her rectal temperature?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He gave her metacam. She is lethargic. I don't have a thermometer.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, the main concern right now is making sure the fever is down to at least to 102.5 F. If he temperature is at 104 or above there is a risk for her to seizure. I would recommend either picking up a thermometer in your local pharmacy to check her rectal temperature or having her checked by ER veterinarian. If her temperature is above 104 this is what you can do: 1- Place cold compresses (not ice cold) around foot pads and cold towels under the arm pits. 2- Then, place her in front of a fan. 3- Continue to take her rectal temperature every 15 minutes until temperature is at or below 102.5 F at which point you will stop the cooling process. To take a rectal temperature this is what you can do:1- Lubricate thermometer tip with ky jelly, vaseline or soap and water. 2- Insert thermometer in rectum about 1 inch and gently press tip up against rectal wall. 3- Wait a minute or until it beeps. If her temperature is normal; you will need to force feed her. You can offer her a bland diet of rice and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef. If possible, blend the food and force feed her small amounts with a turkey baster or dropper. Follow up with family vet for a recheck. Discuss with your vet about doing xrays if blood work was normal. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter