Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat has white gums and is severely lethargic. I just came

Customer Question

My cat has white gums and is severely lethargic. I just came back from the vet and he said that he most certainly has anemia and it is serious. The took some blood, urine and gave him fluids as he was dehydrated. Now, I'm wondering if there is anything else I should be doing? Before I got him, the shelter tested him for Feline Leukemia and FIV. He tested negative for both. He is an indoor only kitty. What can I do? I am a bit panicky because he's very ill. :(
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.You are correct to be concerned. Anemia too low can become life threatening and needs to be identified sooner rather than later. Did your veterinarian not at least do an in-house PCV (hematocrit or called packed cell volume) to confirm anemia, and get an idea of how low? I would recommend this, even if we had submitted blood to the lab since that takes about 24 hours. In a severely anemic cat (if the PCV is lower than 20%), then Doc might need a blood transfusion and/or immediate medication to try to get this to rebound. As well your vet can do an in-house saline agglutination test once anemia is confirmed to know if he is hemolyzing his blood (which means his immune system is attached the red blood cells) which is an emergency and medication must be started now.My best recommendation if he is profoundly lethargic, perhaps worsening, is to have him taken to your nearest emergency clinic for care overnight. They should have the ability to at least check his level of anemia and possibly offer a blood transfusion, if needed.