Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

One week ago today we caught our cat eating a piece of sewing

Customer Question
thread. We rushed her to...
One week ago today we caught our cat eating a piece of sewing thread. We rushed her to our veterinarian and did abdominal x rays. The xrays showed plication of the intestine. We then rushed her to Kansas State University VHC for emergency surgery. During her exam she was found to have a severe heart defect and the cardiologist strongly recommended that Surgery NOT be performed. We have since returned home with her. She is drinking normally and is also eating (though smaller amounts) her appetite has increased from then to now. There is no bloating and she is acting fairly normal. My question is: What can I expect? We didn't believe she would even make it this long. Is there a time period when I should notice something?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/24/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian
Hello! Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. I'm sorry poor Emma is experiencing all these problems. There is a realistic possibility Emma dodged a major problem. On average it takes about 3 days for a string obstruction to start causing major problems, which would be severe vomiting, not eating and lethargy. The fact that i's been a week and she's acting fairly normal indicates the thread may not cause a problem. There is always that possibility but I personally would have expected to see all the symptoms I just mentioned by now. If she does start throwing up repeatedly and refusing to eat I would recommend either euthanzing her or attempting the surgery even though there is a defect. To die from a string foreign body is a cruel cruel fate and if she didn't make it through surgery at least you gave her the only chance at survival. However, with no symptoms, there is nothing to treat, so I think you both are very very lucky. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions. Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Cat Veterinarian