Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My 16 year old tabby has not been able two keep food down for

Customer Question
2 days. Yesterday she vomited...
My 16 year old tabby has not been able two keep food down for 2 days. Yesterday she vomited a lot of whole pieces of undigested food. Today she is having whitish/clear liquid vomit. She just tried to eat a little and almost immediately heaved it up. She has had a large growth on her hip for a couple months now and has lost weight. Does it sound like she is near the end of her life?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/23/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: Can she keep water down?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, string, plants, chemicals, etc)?Has she had any diarrhea?
No to all questions but she does seem to be keeping water down. Today she did eat a little without vomiting.
Thank you, ***** ***** glad to hear that she is keeping water down and has had a bit to eat for you. Now I did ask about her gums, but since you didn't mention them I do hope they are pink and moist. Pale gums can be a sign of anemia, where sticky gums would tell us that she is starting to show signs of dehydration. Now in regards ***** ***** situation, her weight loss is a concern and does raise worries of other chronic issues afoot. But her current GI signs, could just be an opportunistic infection or result of dietary indiscretion. So, we want to keep monitoring her for improvement but can start some supportive care to allay her nausea and try to settle her stomach. To start doing so, I would note that you can try her on an antacid. There are a number on the market that are OTC and safe for cats. The ones we use most are: *Pepcid (MoreInfo/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet) Whichever you choose, do give this 20 minutes before food and do check with her vet first if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn't mention. Once that is on board, we can try getting her to eat a bit more for us. To do so, you can tempt her with a small volume (a tablespoon worth to start) of a light/easily digestible diet.Examples of this would be boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs(made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used in cases of gastroenteritis (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). Now if she can keep the small amount, she can have a bit more after 30 minutes.And as she keeps it down, she can have a bit more and so on. The aim of these light diets are that they are easy on the compromised GI and tend to be better tolerated. As well, do keep an eye on her water intake as vomiting can quickly dehydrate a cat (and dehydration will make them feel worse and complicate their situation). Now if she is drinking and can keep water down,this is a good sign (since kitties who cannot even keep water down often need to be treated by injectable anti-vomiting medication from their vets to settle). If you are concerned that she is becoming dehydrated, then do check her hydration status now. To check this, there are a few things we can test at home. One is whether the eyes appear sunken, if the gums are tacky instead of wet/moist, and whether she has a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a video on this HERE.(http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). They use a big dog but it makes it easier to see and the principles are exactly the same. If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be a red flag to have her seen urgently by the vet before this gets any further out of control. Otherwise, if she is not dehydrated, you can try an encourage her to drink but offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth. But since she is vomiting, syringe feeding of fluids is contraindicated since we don't want to cause further vomiting. Overall, in regards ***** ***** question, this does not necessarily sound like the end for your lass. So, we can try to soothe her stomach and get her eating better for us. If she doesn't settle or that weight loss continues, then we'd want to consider a check up with your local vet +/- a blood test. They can check that she has no organs issues, rule out metabolic diseases, and treat any infection present. As well, they can use injectable anti-vomiting and appetite stimulating medication to settle her stomach and get her back to eating properly for us.I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian