Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

There is a cut above you cats eye, it seems to be swelling

Customer Question

There is a cut above you cats eye, it seems to be swelling just a little bit, enough to cause his eye to close ever so slightly. I have rinsed the eye with peroxide and applied a small amount of neosporin, is there cause for concern
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I recently came online and see that your question about Dipa hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}I'm sorry about Cinco's wound but the fact that she doesn't appear to be bothered is a obviously a very good thing. I wouldn't necessarily be concerned as long as the eye itself doesn't appear to be injured or involved. A slight swelling above the eye could only mean that there's some inflammation although infection can't entirely be ruled out if it worsens. An abscess might develop but in many cases, even if one does occur, many vets (myself included) will treat these wounds topically without dispensing systemic antibiotics. You might be surprised how well the majority of these cats do.There's several reasons why I often don't dispense drugs to these patients especially if there's no obvious evidence of infection: One, cats are amazing healers and don't need antibiotics; two, we're concerned about drug resistance and 3. not all wounds/cuts will become infected. I do have a few additional suggestions, however, which may help in this situation and facilitate healing: 1. Since peroxide has actually been shown to retard healing, I'd discontinue its use. Instead, I'd clean the wound twice a day with dilute, over the counter Betadine or Iodine (to the color of weak tea). If you can't avoid getting this into his eye (because of the location), then warm water would be preferable.2. You can continue to apply a very small amount of Neosporin as you have been doing but but only a small amount. You don't want Dipa to ingest the ointment if you can prevent it when he grooms himself.3. Consider purchase of Vetericyn spray which is very effective for skin wounds of this sort and is non-toxic to cats if they ingest it. It's also safe if some should enter the eye. It can be found at many pet or grain stores or online.4. I also wouldn't rinse the eye with peroxide since it may cause irritation; however, there are a number of acceptable over the counter products to use such as Artificial Tears. If you'd like a longer list, let me know and I can provide it. More than likely, if you treat the wound as noted above, infection won't develop and his wound will heal just fine; however, if he starts to squint with his eye or keeps it closed, then a vet visit may be prudent. I hope this helps although, again, my apologies for the delayed reply . Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, again.
I wanted to apologize for the odd text and the reference to Cinco in my response to you.
The site was trying out a new format and it seems there was a glitch such that sentences and nonsense text were printed but I didn't include them in my answer.
It must have seemed odd to you and I wanted to apologize for any confusion which it might have caused. Deb