Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have two male cats that I've had years and I just

Customer Question
I have two male cats...
I have two male cats that I've had for five years and I just got a female cat who is about the same age . Two of the three go outside the female being one of them she spends most of the day outside. The cat who is too scared to go outside spends most of the day in the house by himself however he is urinating all over my house. Currently I have three litter boxes but I don't believe the female uses any box at all she only goes outside .What can I do to make this stop I've had three cats together for the last six months
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/22/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If you've already ruled out that Drama isn't objecting to a substrate in those litter boxes (there should be one more box than cats) and at least one box is in a private, quiet, and unlikely to be disturbed location, and at least one box is covered or, conversely, at least one box is uncovered, then i have t oconsider that Drama is marking against your other two cats. I have advanced training in feline behavior and am pleased to discuss Drama's behavior with you. I must admit that retraining him is going to be a challenge but perhaps after reviewing my notes that I use when lecturing about his behavior you'll have a better idea of how to address it.Drama is likely to be exhibiting marking behavior. He is not likely to be eliminating inappropriately due to litterbox aversion or a medical disorder. Please note that marking on a horizontal surface is marking behavior (a communicative function) caused by the same stimuli that causes spraying. We’re not sure what cats are trying to communicate to us but we do know that wild cats will mark to announce their presence. It’s reasonable to assume then, that Drama is doing so as well. He's essentially "taking ownership" of the marked areas. The most common cause is increased cat density - in the home or nearby. Emotional problems, such as a stressful relationship with a family member, separation anxiety, anxiety over his status in the existing hierarchy, fear, owner absence, moving, new furniture, inappropriate punishment, teasing, household changes and remodeling in the home are examples of stimuli that can induce anxiety in our cats. The etiology can be difficult to diagnose, especially if the behavior is only manifested intermittently and because the stimuli for his inappropriate eliminative behavior may be imperceptible to you but readily so to him - another cat roaming outside, e.g. If emotional factors are influencing the housesoiling, you might notice other changes such as avoidance, aggression or an alteration in his general temperament. Treatment involves two major considerations: 1) Remove the cause - easier said than done. You might have to be quite the detective to discern the stimuli for his inappropriate eliminative behavior although I would incriminate the presence of your other two cats 2) Prevent him from returning to previously soiled areas by confining him to a very small area with the box and only allowed out when he can be supervised 100% of the time. When confined to a relatively small area, most cats seem to prefer to eliminate in the box rather than soiling the floor. It’s then a matter of confining him long enough for a consistent habit to become established. As a rule of thumb, one week of confinement is usually recommended for every month of soiling. Drama should be removed from the confinement area as much as possible for socialization and play, but never allowed out of sight. Food rewards may help when given after he uses his box. If he refuses to use the litterbox when confined to a small area, the confinement area should be changed to a large cage. The floor should be covered with litter, forcing him to use it for elimination. The litter is gradually removed and replaced with a litterbox. Once he has used the litterbox in a confined area for an appropriate amount of time, he can be allowed to have more freedom in the home. Previously soiled areas can be safeguarded by changing the behavioral function of the area by placing food bowls, cat bedding or toys in the area. The area can also be made unacceptable for him by placing a motion-activated alarm or lemon-scented room deodorant in the area. Plastic carpet runners can be placed upside down with the "feet" facing up. Plastic, foil, or double-stick carpet tape can be used to protect specific areas. Removing urine and stool odor is important. Products such as Nature's Miracle which are specifically formulated to work on these types of odors are recommended. Some cats are extremely sensitive to changes in their environment. They may mark in response to the most minor of alterations. You must strive to keep the home environment as constant as possible. When situations exist that are likely to upset him, you might want to consider confinement, closer supervision and the use of anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) medication such as paroxetine (Paxil) and fluoxetine (Prozac). In fact, most behaviorists feel that without the use of psychotherapeutic drugs our chance of correcting inappropriate marking behavior is near nil. (Personal note: My two cats began marking as kittens. After 6 months of fruitless treatment they became outdoor cats - for 12 years.) Nobody wants to confine their pet as I've described but his behavior requires desperate measures. My male urinated on my pillow while I slept - an obvious behavior designed to make sure that his sister and I knew who's bed it really was. He apparently was anxious about his status in the hierarchy of my home. Success in management with psychotherapeutic drugs is measured by a 70% reduction in adverse events. In other words, if my cat urinated on my pillow 10 times monthly prior to drug administration but only 3 times monthly after drug administration, success in treatment is acknowledged. Needless to say, that didn't please me and I certainly hope that you have better "success" than I. Marking behavior is second only to aggressive behavior for the reason cats are rehomed or euthanized. Please note that making Drama an outdoor cat may be preferable to either of those alternatives. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
I am getting him outside now on his own and I added another liter box he is still randomly urinating. I don't think I can lock him up for long periods of time bc he and the other male cat ripped apart my door to get to each other. What else can I do it's ruining my house
I've offered up all I have. I'll opt out which will allow other experts to enter our conversation with other ideas.
Hello Dr Salkin
I just wanted to let you know after adding the 4th liter box and getting Drama to go outside willingly he has finally stopped urinating in random in the house. I can't thank you enough for all of your help. I am so relieved he has gone back to his old ways and even seems happier going out side. Again thank you very much for the advice. This service is truly a blessing. Be well :)
Sincerely ***** Ari, and Mittens 🐱🐱🐱
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian