Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

I am a first time kitten owner. She just got spayed this afternoon.

Customer Question

i am a first time kitten owner. She just got spayed this afternoon. how do i keep her calm? she is all over the place and isn't even steady on her feet.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. This can be a common issue for kittens post anesthesia; in part because they are active little ones and in part because the drugs in their system can cause agitation and confusion for them. In this case, if she cannot tolerate being in the carrier, then you need to relocate her to a "safe room." This should be somewhere with minimal hazards to fall over or places to jump up. Ideally, it should be quiet, calm and dimly lit. She can have food/water and her kitty bed in there. If we reduce stimulation and outlets for play here, they will often settle and sleep off the drug's effects. And once they have done so, we tend to see them back to normal for us. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best, ***** -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )