petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

3 month old kitten left eye is slightly swollen and starting

Customer Question

3 month old kitten left eye is slightly swollen and starting to have some clear discharge, can I put bacitracin on it? Will that help?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you. I would definitely NOT advise you to use that product in her eye. There are reports that products with those ingredients can lead to rare, but fatal anaphylactic reactions in cats. In cats with a conjunctivitis, the offending agent is usually viral in nature and is most often herpes virus. If that is the case, antibiotics are not going to do much more than prevent a secondary infection. It is her immune system that needs to kick in to take care of things. As long as the discharge remains clear, it is less likely to have bacteria involved. What you can do to help is to keep any discharge from building up around her eyes by wiping gently with a warm water cloth. You can try flushing her eyes with eyewash or saline solution (like contact wearers use). She may also get some relief from an artificial tear type solution applied as frequently as needed to keep the eyes lubricated. The product called Genteal® is available over the counter (OTC) as a solution or a gel. If she does not improve on her own or if she acts like her eyes are bothering her, I would definitely have your veterinarian evaluate her. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z