Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My cat is lethargic a week, started with swelling on the face and around the eye

Customer Question

My cat is lethargic for about a week, started with swelling on the face and around the eyes, took her into the vet who didn't know what was wrong, treated her for allergies, now won't eat, meows loudly, puked twice in the last week, hasn't defecated in a week, larger than normal urine clumps in the litter box
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 2 years ago.
Hello. It sounds like we need to start back from square one here. I would start with bloodwork. The decreased appetite and increased urination makes me worried about diabetes, kidney disease or liver disease. These can all lead to the signs that you are seeing. I think diabetes makes the most sense here. That could also lead to anxiety as they develop cataracts and they can have vision loss. We can also see secondary infections, which could explain the vomiting and facial swelling. I would start with bloodwork and then go from there. If you get it done and you want a second opinion on the interpretation, I'd be happy to look at it for you. You can post it here as an attachment. Keep me posted, and let me know if you have any other questions.