petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My 2 year old neutered Cat had PU surgery in May because they

Customer Question

My 2 year old neutered Cat had PU surgery in May because they couldn't unblock him-he never had issues prior. Since the surgery he has never really been able to go without crying and then licking himself. The last few weeks this has gotten worse, he's going several times in a row, obviously in pain, and he's also going all over my house and he's leaking. Yesterday he woke up out of a dead sleep cried and licked himself and urine leaked where he was. I brought him in and his urinalysis came back with no issues. He's on Antibiotics, steroids, and some pain meds, but they are not helping. He's on the Royal Canine Urine food. The vet acts like this is just how he will be because of "stress" or whatever. But my research doesn't indicate that "this is just how he will be". I'm reading a bunch of medical stuff on the PU surgery but don't know enough to fully understand it. What is a stricture? How can we tell if he has this? What other options or reasons are there?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.
I do think the you have every reason to suspect this is not normal. There has to be some sort of complication from the surgery, and this is not how it should be.
PU patients have an increased risk for infection so I'd always be worried about a urinary tract infection (UTI). I think the UA by itself may not be sensitive enough to rule out an infection, especially if he is on steroids which suppress the immune response and decreases evidence of inflammation. I would definitely have a urine culture run and if it detects any bacterial growth, a sensitivity will let you know the appropriate antibiotic to treat it.
If not infectious, it could be due to a stricture formation anywhere along the urethra. A stricture is a narrowing of the urethra, usually die to scaring (think of stepping on a garden hose). They are not usually visible to the naked eye and most often are confirmed with a radiograph of the bladder/urethra using contrast material (dye). This procedure is called a double contrast urethrocystogram.
If a culture is run and found to be negative, I would follow up with a procedure like this. It may be a good idea to consult with a board certified veterinary surgeon in this regard, but rest assured, this is not normal and poor Mingus should not have to endure this.
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
Hi Stephanie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Z.