Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a 3mo old kitten that is staggering and falling when

Customer Question
she walks. She was...
I have a 3mo old kitten that is staggering and falling when she walks. She was treated for an ear infection which has now been cleared up, but the staggering continues.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/16/2015
Cat Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Minx today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.
......
Has she been tested for Feline leukemia and feline aids already?
.....
Have they been able to visualize her ear drum to confirm that there is not evidence of infection still in the middle ear?
......
What is her background? Did she have a healthy mother?
......
Does she have any other neurologic symptoms?
......
Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Yes, she has been tested for both feline leukemia and aids & it was determined that she has neither. And yes they did visualize her ear drum and confirmed their is no longer any infection.
As far as her background..we do not know because she was found by the side of a road. This might be a good place to mention that at the time she was found, we had been treating another cat for a upper respiratory & viral infection & he was just recovering & had started eating on his own.
Minx appeared healthy for the first three weeks or so after we welcomed her into our home. She then became ill & stopped eating. We took her to the vet (6/5/15) & she was given an injection of Convenia & Cerenia as well as subcutaneous fluids & was sent home with Terramycin & Doxycylline.
After a week (6/10/15) there was no improvement & we took her back for a follow up visit & she was given another injection, this time of Dexamethasone SP & again sent home with Neo Poly Dex Opthalmic Drops. Around about this time is when we started noticing her irregular gate & her head bobbing.
The next weeks' follow up (6/19/15) she was diagnosed with a perforated ear drum w/infection. She was then given an injection of Cerenia & sent home w/Veraflox & Prednisolone Syruup as well as T-8 Keto/dex.
Next follow up (6/26/15) she was then given cerumene & continue with the Keto/dex.
Next visit (7/3/15) was when we were told the ear infection was clear & the perforation was almost entirely closed. She was taken off all other meds. As far as the staggering...it is still ongoing & is a mystery as to the cause. She has a healthy appetite & is very active & playful with us and the three other cats in the house.
Any ideas, opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank you for the reply. Since she was normal when you first got her, I think that is less suspicious of a congenital problem like cerebellar hypoplasia, which is a developmental abnormality where the brain is not fully developed and occurs when the mom cat has distemper while pregnant. Here is a link with more information and a video of the type of neurologic symptoms these cats have. LINK HERE Outside of that, other neurologic conditions should be ruled out. Meningitis or encephalitis can occur when there is inflammation of the brain tissue or spinal tissue and it can be a challenge to confirm. Common culprits include toxoplasmosis, and feline leukemia virus (even if tested negative). A spinal tap will sometimes lend support, but other more advanced imaging like CT or MRI may be needed. I would consider a consult with a veterinary neurologist at this time to have her fully evaluated. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.Dr Z
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian