Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

So my cat has been mostly an inside cat and since it's been

Customer Question
warm, I've been letting him...
So my cat has been mostly an inside cat and since it's been warm, I've been letting him go outside during the day when I'm at work. When I came home this past Saturday and called him to come in, my next door neighbor said that he had been hanging out at there house and that they had fed him. I noticed that he ha's not been eating like he usually does and that his stool when he comes inside has been different. I've kept him inside yesterday and today. He vomited a little yesterday and this morning. His personality has also been different, especially today since I've been home. He's usually pretty active and fitsey but today he just wants to lay in my bed and sleep
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
7/15/2015
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
What changes are you seeing in his stool? Diarrhea, mucus, blood?
What is he bringing up in his vomit?
Has he been showing any retching, gagging, lip licking, or drooling since?
Is he drinking? Can he keep water down?
Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
His stool has been loose light brown colored diarrhea. There appears to be a clear watery substance thats coming from his anus. No blood.
He doesn't want to drink water. I had him lick a piece of dry food and that made him vomit a clear liquid and sent him to the bathroom after I wrote this first question.His gums are pink but feel sticky.When I picked him up after he vomited it meowed a little but overall is very lethargic.He has been outside and my neighbor told me they fed so there's no telling what he could have gotten into
There's been no gagging, lip licking or anything since
Thank you,
Now the dilemma here is that as an outdoor cat, we have a lot of potential issues to consider. Common ones that would induce lethargy, diarrhea (with mucus, which tells us the lower bowel is irritated), nausea, vomiting, and anorexia are bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatits (if the food they neighbor offered didn't agree with Neo), dietary indiscretion, parasites, and possible ingestion of harmful materials (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).
In this case, we do want to tread with care since sticky gums are an early warning sign of dehydration lurking. Therefore, I will outline some supportive care you can try. Of course, if he is too nauseous to keep this down, then we'd want to have him to his vet so that they can bypass his mouth and treat him with anti-nausea medication by injection.
To start, we can address his nausea by using an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the ones I tend to recommend are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
We tend to give these 30 minutes before offering food to give it time to be absorbed. And of course, do double check with his vet before use if he has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication.
If the vomiting does subside by that point, then tempt him with a small volume (a tablespoon worth to start) of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this would be boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk), meat baby food (do avoid the ones with garlic powder in the ingredients) or there are also veterinary prescription diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity). Now if he can keep the small amount, he can have a bit more after 30 minutes. And as he keeps it down, he can have a bit more and so on. The aim of an easily digestible diet is that they tend to be easier for the compromised gut to digest and absorb. And even if an infectious agent is wrecking havoc on their GI, this will give the gut the ability to gain as much nutrition as possible. Furthermore, if we can aid the gut in taking up more of the nutrients they are ingesting, we will also see less diarrhea as a side effect.
As well, do keep an eye on his water intake as nausea and vomiting can quickly dehydrate a cat (and dehydration will make them feel worse and complicate their situation). He may not be keen on water at this stage if he is nauseous but we do want to keep an eye. To see how to check a cat's hydration, further to gum moisture, you can watch a video on this HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). they use a large dog, but it is just the same signs we check for. If you are concerned that he is becoming dehydrated, you can try an encourage him to drink but offering fresh water or even low-sodium chicken broth. Since he is vomiting, syringe feeding of fluids is contraindicated since we don't want to cause further vomiting.
Finally, provided we can settle Neo's stomach, we can consider using an anti-diarrheal treatment as well. In regards ***** ***** safe options, you can use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This will coat the stomach but also slow diarrhea. Do avoid any Loperamide/Immodium or Pepto Bismol as those are not cat friendly.
Overall, these would be our concerns for his signs. As long as you don't think he is painful in his belly, he is passing normal urine, and doesn't have any other signs of dehydration; then we can use the above to see if we can settle his stomach. If you initiate these treatments and he cannot keep them down, we do not see improvement over the next 12-24 hours, or he has any further violent vomiting episodes then we would want to follow up with his vet to make sure there is nothing sinister afoot. They will be able to rule out dehydration, fever, and check for any lumps, bumps, or things that shouldn't be in his stomach. As well, the vet will be able to cover him with antibiotics and anti-vomiting medications by injection to help settle his stomach and get him back on track as quick as possible.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian