Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

Terri my cat Princess was put to sleep on Tuesday due to

Customer Question

Hi Terri my cat Princess was put to sleep on Tuesday due to FIP the vet thinks anyway I am In the process of getting a new kitten on Friday. She is coming from a shelter five hours away anyway the shelter says she is two to three months old, she is already
been spayed. By the age of three months are kittens vacinated for feline lukemia and feline aides? The shelter says she is current on her vaccinations at this point I just do not know what that actually means. When I pick her up they will give me her shot
record. Do you have any tips on helping her adjust to my house she will be coming from a foster home. As it okay to have her play with Princess's toys? Sleep in her bed and eat from her dishes? The dishes have been washed.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 2 years ago.
Hello there. I am happy to help you with your questions this evening. Most shelters do not vaccinate for feline leukemia or feline aids. They usually only do the FVRCP (feline distemper) vaccine. Although it is recommended for kittens to get the feline leukemia vaccine at very least and FIV if they are going to be an outside cat. If not then the FIV (feline aids) vaccine is not recommended. So when they say she is current on her vaccines most likely she has had one or two FVRCP vaccines and nothing else. But their records will tell you for sure. Also it is important to test for feline leukemia and FIV if she hasn't already been tested and will have to be tested before Feluk/FIV vaccines for sure. I would introduce her to the house first by letting her sit in her carrier or box for a few hours to relax and then move to a bathroom with food water and litter for a couple days until she adjusts. Then let her explore more of the house after a few days but keep bedrooms and doors closed until she adjusts then let her have full roam after about a week or so. Show her where her litter and food and water will be and you should be good. I would recommend all new toys, beds and dishes although they have all been washed. Its best just to make sure. FIP is a not full understood and most likely not contagious but I always recommend being cautious and always best for new toys and bed and bowls for any new cat. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Hi Skye,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Little Bit. How is everything going?
Dr. Whitehead
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will let you know I pick her up on Friday.
Sounds good!
Please do not forget to rate my response so I can receive credit for my time. Thank you!